Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Internships: What a hassle...

So today's "Keep busy so I don't go insane" thing was trying to get all the information I needed for internships. I figured it wouldn't be so bad: find some phone numbers, call them, and deal with being on hold and all that until I got what I needed. Alas, it wasn't that simple. For summer ones, it was
City PDs:
NYPD: "Call back in March or April". The good news is, the budget cuts mean they're really looking for some unpaid paper-pushers. Yaaay.
Hartford PD: Way to pick up, jackasses.
Metro PD (Washington, DC): The one PD that actually caught up on their technology! The application was online, but I'll have to pester career services about my resume. I also need an essay about why I want to do it and why I chose what specialty and so forth. It's supposed to be a really good internship program, but the problem is that it's unpaid and DC is expensive, so I dunno if I can do it.
Boston PD: Paid, sounds good, just gotta go and get some more info from them.
LAPD: I would be on this like white on rice if they didn't only work with four schools.
SFPD: I heard it was a good program, but I saw it's 12 hours a week, unpaid. They must have been thinking of something else.
Federal agencies
Capitol police: They hire interns, but don't even have a contact number online. Real nice of you guys...
US Marshals: No, no matter what you say, the list of schools on the website is still last year. It would take two seconds to check that, but they never do. Of course, odds are, since UConn doesn't have a criminal justice department, they won't take me anyway. Maybe I can make some other calls, though...
DEA: They put me through to Buffalo, I said screw it (WHEN I SAY NEW YORK I MEAN THE PART THAT COUNTS, DAMNIT!).
FBI: Yeah, about that GPA thing...

So yeah, that was my day. Not as beneficial as I hoped. Still, though, crossed a few off my list, but they weren't really high up there as it is. I have to follow up on a few more (maybe the DEA will give me the NYC office this time).

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, finding an internship is annoying...I hope you get the NYPD one though, that would be awesome!

    And what's this about "the part of New York that counts"? I assume you mean UPSTATE, of course? ;)

    You know, everything outside of the five boroughs and Long Island could really be considered upstate. You know you want to join us...*evil cackle*

    ReplyDelete
  2. On one hand, the NYPD would be good, because I could just take the train from home. On the other hand, it would suck horribly, because I'd be taking the train from home.
    No, the part that COUNTS, not the part that takes all the budget money. Arrr.
    Ha, if it gets rid of the wannabe hipsters I'll consider it. I kinda just wanna kick 'em all down a flight of stairs.

    ReplyDelete